Scholarships For Hispanic Students: Many universities are interested improving the diversity of their intake, and are keen to offer support for students from minority groups. Particularly in the US, this means a wide number of scholarships for Hispanic students are available. The list below is just a selection of current Hispanic scholarships on offer – don’t just limit yourself to these opportunities, as you are likely to be eligible for other schemes as well.
If you’re based in a Latin American country, you may also be interested in one of our upcoming QS World Grad School Tour events in the region – a chance to meet universities from around the world and apply for exclusive scholarships.
Scholarships for Hispanic students in the US (general):
- Hispanic Scholarship Fund – describes itself as the “number one resource for Hispanic and Latino scholarship programs”. There are Hispanic scholarships available for high school seniors, undergraduates, graduate students and community college transfer students. To qualify, you must be classed as a US citizen, permanent legal resident, Deferred Action for Childhood Arrival (DACA) or eligible non-citizen (as defined by Federal Student Aid).
- St. Lawrence University Presidential Diversity Scholarship – various scholarships for minority students, including those of African-American, Asian-American, Hispanic American or Native American heritage. Applicants must demonstrate leadership and service to the community.
- Hispanic Business Association Richard G. Cortez Scholarship – a non-profit organization committed to the enhancement of educational opportunities for Hispanic students in Oregon and Idaho. The scheme offers annual scholarships for Hispanics who have good academic achievement.
- College Board, National Hispanic Recognition Program (NHRP) – program for students who qualify based on outstanding scores on the PSAT/NMSQT in their junior year of high school and self-identify as at least one-quarter Hispanic.
- Connecticut Association of Latino/as in Higher Education (CALAHE) – dedicated to promoting educational access for Latino students at higher education institutions in Connecticut.
- Congressional Hispanic Caucus Institute (CHCI) – provides critical financial assistance in associate’s degrees, bachelor’s degrees and postgraduate degrees with the aim of increasing graduation rates among Hispanic students. Applicants must demonstrate financial need.
- Esperanza Scholarships – Hispanic scholarships are available for residents of Cuyahoga and/or Lorain Counties in Ohio. Students must be graduating high school or be enrolled full-time in college/university, with a family income not exceeding US$60,000 per year.
- La Plaza Scholarship Fund – up to six four-year college scholarships worth$2,000 are awarded each year to Latino students from across Indiana. Students are selected based on their academic record, community participation and financial need.
- Hispanic Heritage Youth Awards – an annual grant worth US$1,000-3,000, awarded to Hispanic students who demonstrate leadership in the classroom and community.
Scholarships for Hispanic students in the US (subject-specific):
- Alois Bulawa Scholarship at the University of Wisconsin, Milwaukee – Lubar School of Business – scholarships for Hispanics are available for those studying business full-time, who demonstrate both financial need and strong academic achievement.
- MALDEF (Mexican American Legal Defense and Educational Fund) Law School Scholarship Program – open to Latino students enrolled full-time at an accredited US law school. Candidates are evaluated based on academic and extracurricular achievements, background and financial need, and must demonstrate commitment to progressing Latino civil rights.
- Association of Latino Professionals in Finance and Accounting (ALPFA) – an organization dedicated to enhancing opportunities for Latinos in accounting, finance and related vocations. Scholarships are available for Hispanic members wishing to study in one of these fields.
- The Actuarial Foundation Actuarial Diversity Scholarship – this scholarship promotes diversity in the actuary profession, with awards from US$1,000-4,000 depending on academic level. Applicants must have at least one birth parent who is a member of one of the following minority groups: Black/African American, Hispanic, Native North American, Pacific Islander.
- Leo and Trinidad Sanchez Scholarship – up to US$4,500 is available for a Hispanic student who is a current resident of Santa Clara County or Santa Cruz County, studying architecture as a current undergraduate or a graduating high school senior.
- American Society of Safety Engineers (ASSE) Foundation, Rixio Medina & Associates Hispanics in Safety Scholarship – One award of US$4,000 is available for a Hispanic student pursuing an undergraduate or graduate degree in occupational safety and health or a closely related field. Applicants must be bilingual in Spanish and English.
- National Association of Hispanic Nurses (NAHN) – Hispanic scholarships are available for US citizens who are studying full-time to become a nurse and who have NAHN membership. NAHN also provides a list of additional scholarships for Hispanics in nursing.
- National Association of Hispanic Journalists (NAHJ) – NAHJ provides scholarships for Hispanics studying full-time at undergraduate or graduate level and aspiring towards a journalism career in English or Spanish-language media (or both). Awards range from US$1,000 to $5,000, and are open to students in the US and Puerto Rico.
If you’re seeking funding for an MBA program, visit our sister site TopMBA.com to find MBA Scholarship Programs for Hispanic and Latino Americans.
Scholarships for Hispanic women:
- 100 Hispanic Women Young Latinas Leadership Institute Scholarships – scholarships for Hispanic women to pursue undergraduate study in leadership and related programs.
- AAUW International Fellowships – AAUW provides US scholarships for international graduate women, with a particular emphasis on scholarships for Hispanic women.
Click here to find more scholarships for Hispanic women and other women in minority groups.
Other Related Articles:
- LGBT Scholarships Around The World
- Scholarships For Women In Male-Dominated Industries
- International Scholarships For Students From Developing Countries
- Online Scholarships to Study for Online Students
Want more content like this? Subscribe for free site membership to get regular updates like this Scholarships For Hispanic Students, and your own personal content feed.