LGBT Scholarships Around The World: A growing number of scholarships aimed at supporting members of the LGBTQ+ (lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and queer) community are becoming available. While LGBTQ+ scholarships are relatively common in some countries, such as the US, they’re rare or unheard-of in other countries.
This type of funding may or may not be available, depending on your intended study destination.
For an overview of some of the scholarships for LGBT students currently on offer, check out our country-by-country breakdown below. Bear in mind that some schemes require you to be a resident or current student.
LGBT scholarships to study in the US
- The Queer Foundation – LGBTQ+ scholarships open to all students, anywhere in the world, who have not yet graduated from high school and expect to attend college or university in the US. Candidates will be required to submit an essay and successful applicants will be awarded US$1,000 scholarships.
- The Pride Foundation – Scholarships for current and future leaders in the LGBTQ+ community from Alaska, Idaho, Montana, Oregon and Washington.
- The LEAGUE Foundation – Scholarships for LGBTQ+ students entering their first year at an institution of higher learning in the US or Canada. You must be a US citizen to apply.
- National Organization of Gay and Lesbian Scientists and Technical Professionals – Scholarships for LGBT students or active allies of the LGBTQ+ community, to support undergraduate or graduate degrees in science, technology, engineering or mathematics. Successful applicants will be given two US$5,000 scholarships, awarded each Fall.
- The Point Foundation – A large scholarship-granting organization aimed at supporting LGBTQ students, assessed on academic merit. Successful applicants are awarded financial support and are paired with a mentor and given opportunities to participate in leadership development events.
- PFund – LGBT scholarships for Minnesota residents or students who are enrolled in a post-secondary academic program in the state.
- Roy Scrivner Research Grants –Grants for graduate students of up to US$10,000 to conduct research which encourages the study of LGBT family psychology and LGBT family therapy.
- Parents, Families and Friends of Lesbians and Gays – Provides awards for those who identify as LGBTQ or as a straight ally. Although the scholarship program isn’t currently running this year, it’s worth checking as it will be back.
- Human Rights Campaign Scholarship Database – A good resource for searching for LGBTQ scholarships and other funding opportunities by state.
- The Rainbow Scholarship – Open to LGBTQI US citizens or permanent residents currently enrolled as undergraduates at US universities, who plan to study abroad.
- Stonewall Foundation Scholarships – A foundation that focuses on the important needs of the LGBT community, particularly in New York, and provides scholarships that offer unique learning experiences and opportunities. This year’s application opens July 1st, 2020 for the 2020-21 academic year.
- The Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender Health, Education and Research Trust – Awards scholarships to LGBT students in the health sciences in the US.
- The Gamma Mu Foundation – Provides grants and scholarships for gay men who want to further their education at a college, university, or through a vocational or professional training program. They have recently extended the grants to organizations meeting special needs in LGBT subpopulations, including youths, seniors and victims of domestic abuse
- The Kay Longcope Scholarship Award – Provides up to $3,000 tuition assistance to an LGBT student of color who plans a career in journalism and is committed to furthering NLGJA’s mission of fair and accurate coverage of the LGBT community. The Leroy F. Aarons Scholarship Award is also available for LGBT students planning a career in journalism.
- ALLIES Scholarship for Student Leadership Development – provides scholarships for full-time students at Northern Michigan University with a top academic record who have shown documented leadership, support or involvement in organizations, activities or issues that promote awareness and acceptance of the LGBT community at the university.
- Out to Innovate Scholarships – Scholarships for LGBTQ+ undergraduate or postgraduate students, who are pursuing degrees in the STEM subjects (science, technology, engineering or mathematics). Applicants must have completed two years of post-high school education at an accredited university and have a minimum 3.0 GPA.
LGBT scholarships to study in the UK
- Positive action for LGBT+ MSc Scholarship at University of Edinburgh Business School – The University of Edinburgh Business School offers a £10,000 scholarship to fund any of their taught masters’ degrees, for students who are committed to making a difference to the LGBT+ community, especially within the business environment.
- LGBTQ+ Allies Scholarship at De Montfort University – Two scholarships available for international postgraduate students from outside of the UK and the EU, currently holding an offer from De Montfort University. The scholarships cover the total value of the course fee and include an additional £1,015 per month for the duration of the course, to assist with living costs.
LGBT scholarships to study in Canada
- University of Alberta Michael Phair Leadership Award – A scholarship for LGBTQ and two-spirited students at the University of Alberta.
- The Imperial Sovereign Court of the Wild Rose – Bursary awards for LGBTQ and two-spirited students in any accredited post-secondary education program within the province of Alberta.
- The Bill 7 Award – Two scholarships are available with a value of US$1,500 for LGBTQ and two-spirited students who are in financial need and studying at any post-secondary institution in Ontario.
- The LOUD Foundation – Scholarships for LGBTQ students enrolled at Canadian universities, who are also Canadian citizens or residents. Applications open in November and close in January.
- The Pride Education Network – Open to LGBTQ secondary school students in British Columbia who have a minimum B grade average and are preparing to attend a university or college in Canada. Applicants should also demonstrate financial need.
- Start Proud – Two Student Leadership Scholarships are available for LGBTQ students enrolled in a Canadian post-secondary program of study. You must be a Canadian citizen and demonstrate alignment with Start Proud’s mission, vision and values.
LGBT scholarships to study in Australia and New Zealand
- The Pinnacle Foundation – Scholarships for young LGBTIQ people between the ages of 17 and 26, who desire to undertake full-time education at a public or private secondary school (final year) or public institution of higher education in Australia.
- Monash Queer Leaders Scholarship – One scholarship up to the value of US$3,500 is available to an Australian or Kiwi student who identifies as LGBTIQ and is enrolled in an undergraduate or postgraduate degree at Monash University.
- Rainbow New Zealand – Scholarships for GLBTI students enrolling in a full-time degree course at a recognized tertiary-level institution. Applicants must be New Zealand citizens or permanent residents and have lived in New Zealand for at least the previous two years.
- Collin Higgins Youth Courage Award – Offers the annual youth courage award for exceptional students dealing with discrimination, and gives the chance for LGBTQ allies who apply to win $10,000 plus an opportunity to attend the National Conference for LGBT equality, and to be honored on an all-expense paid trip to Los Angeles or New York for Pride Week.
Other LGBT scholarships:
- Crossing Borders – A summer academic program in Mexico which connects students of various backgrounds and ethnicities and includes Spanish language training. Includes a Diversity Scholarship for ethnic minority and LGBT students.
- The National Gay Pilots Association Education Fund – Provides scholarships for students who are actively involved in the LGBT community, have earned at least a private pilot certificate, and are enrolled in an accredited US college or university. It is not necessary to be a US citizen to apply.
Other Related Articles:
- Nursing Scholarships Around The World
- Architecture Scholarships Around The World
- 2021 Australian Government Scholarships Awards
- Online Scholarships to Study for Online Students
Want more content like this? Subscribe for free site membership to get regular updates like this LGBT Scholarships Around The World, and your own personal content feed.