Calling all Brits! Check out this range of current international scholarships for UK students to study across the world. Whether you’re applying for an undergraduate degree, considering a master’s or keen to study a PhD, there’s likely to be a scholarship available to help you with funding.
Read on to discover a wide range of study abroad scholarships for UK students, including government scholarships, bilateral student exchanges, commonwealth scholarships and external grants. Happy scholarship hunting!
For more personal guidance and your chance to meet representatives of leading universities from around the world, consider attending one of our upcoming QS World Grad School Tour and QS World University Tour events in London. Scroll to the bottom of this article for more details.
To study anywhere in the world
- The Leverhulme Trust Study Abroad Scholarships – International scholarships for UK students (with a UK undergraduate degree) to study anywhere in the world (except the US) at graduate level.
To study in Asia
- Chinese Government Scholarships – Government scholarships open to EU students looking to gain funding to study in China. Open to students of all levels.
- Commonwealth Scholarships and Fellowships for UK Citizens – Commonwealth scholarships for UK students to study for a PhD in Singapore or New Zealand. There are also scholarships to study a master’s degree in low- and middle-income countries such as South Africa.
- Generation UK China Scholarships – Scholarships for UK students to study at a Chinese University for 5-11 months, covering tuition fees, accommodation, and a basic living allowance. You can choose what location and subject you’d like, but it is at non-degree level.
- Hong Kong PhD Fellowship Scheme – PhD scholarships for high-achieving international students to study for their PhD in Hong Kong at selected institutions.
- Japanese MEXT Scholarship Programme – Undergraduate and postgraduate scholarships for outstanding British students to study any subject in Japan. Applicants must be willing to learn Japanese.
- JSPS Postdoctoral Fellowship Programme – Postgraduate scholarships for UK doctorate holders wishing to conduct research in Japan at a selected institution.
To study in Australia and New Zealand
To study in Australia:
- Endeavour Postgraduate Scholarships for International Students – Merit-based government scholarships to study in Australia, available to postgraduate students from Asia-Pacific, the Middle East, Europe and the Americas.
- Research Training Program (RTP) – Postgraduate scholarships to study a research degree at a participating Australian university. Open to both domestic and international students.
To study in New Zealand:
- New Zealand International Doctoral Research Scholarships – Government scholarships for UK students and other internationals to undertake a PhD at an accredited university in New Zealand. This scholarship is not available in 2018.
To study in Europe
- Erasmus+ – EU-funded study abroad scholarships to study at universities across Europe as part of a student exchange. This will allow you to study abroad for 3-12 months as part of a degree based in your home country. Research funding also available. Please note that following the UK’s exit from the European Union, UK students may not be able to apply for Erasmus; this has yet to be decided.
- Activia Scholarships – £1,000 is available for college and university UK students to study in the UK. You must have a place at a university (to study any undergraduate or postgraduate course).
To study in Denmark:
- The Anglo-Danish Society Scholarships – Study abroad scholarships for UK students who have completed an undergraduate degree in the UK and wish to study or conduct research at a university or institution in Denmark.
Click here for more scholarships to study in the Nordic countries.
To study in France:
- Entente Cordiale Scholarship Scheme – Bilateral government scholarships for UK students to study in France and French students to study in the UK at master’s or PhD level in any field.
- University of Kent at Paris Scholarship – Graduate scholarships to study at the University of Kent’s branch campus in Paris on selected Master of Art programs.
To study in Germany:
- DAAD Study Scholarship for Postgraduates – Study abroad scholarships on offer to Irish and UK students looking to study in Germany at master’s level or to conduct research. Applicants must have completed their undergraduate degree at a UK or Irish university.
Click here for more scholarships to study in Germany.
Click here for more scholarships to study in the rest of Europe.
To study in Latin America
- British Academy Newton Mobility Grants – Exchange programs for postdoctoral UK students and students from partner countries to conduct research in partner nations, including Brazil and Mexico.
To study in North America
- BUNAC Educational Scholarship Trust (BEST) Travel Awards – Study abroad scholarships for UK students wishing to gain funding for a postgraduate degree in the US or Canada.
To study in Canada:
- Canada Memorial Foundation Scholarships – Commonwealth scholarships for UK students and researchers to gain funding for postgraduate study at an accredited university in Canada.
- Canadian Rhodes Scholars Foundation Scholarships – Study abroad scholarships for graduates of Oxford University in the UK to study at graduate-level at selected universities in Canada.
- Vanier Canada Postgraduate Scholarships Program – Canadian government scholarships for international students to study in Canada for a PhD at a participating Canadian university.
Click here to see more scholarships to study in Canada.
To study in the US:
- Fulbright Awards to Study in the US – Postgraduate scholarships for UK students to pursue a postgraduate degree in the US at an accredited university. Separate awards offered to researchers, teachers and professionals.
- The British Friends of Harvard Business School MBA Scholarships – MBA scholarships for UK students to study in the US at Harvard Business School. One year of funding only.
Click here for more scholarships to study in the US.
If you’re based in the UK and want to study abroad, you can meet universities from around the world at the QS World Grad School Tour (for graduate students) or the QS World University Tour (for undergraduates), both held in London twice per year.
Both events are free to attend, offering opportunities to speak to representatives of leading universities in person, as well as attending seminars and presentations. Attendees can also apply to the QS Scholarships scheme.
Want more content like this? Subscribe for free site membership to get regular updates like this International Scholarships For UK Students, and your own personal content feed.